Monday, December 22, 2014

Tuesday December 16, 2014

My first day at the hospital, I basically went around to the various offices and had my "orientation".  I had a big piece of paper that had to be signed by all the various people in the hospital - pharmacy, medical records, etc.  I had my photo taken and an ID badge made.

It was Tuesday that I found out that I did not actually have my Samoan license approved - which was also news to the Pediatric team.  Apparently, the new Governor of Samoa decided that he wanted to create a new board and changed the process of licensure without telling anyone.  Dr. Marrone (head of pediatrics.. more about him later... said this was a political stunt because there is a distrust/dislike of American-trained physicians on the island).

For lunch, I went with Matt down to a local cafe called "DDW" (Don't Drink the Water).  It was located about a half mille from the hospital in Pago Pago, right next to the water.  I had teriayki chicken (again), which was delicious.  A huge (and I mean HUGE) plate of food with two chicken breasts for $8.  I was stuffed.

I spent the rest of the afternoon in clinic with Dr. Marrone, also going around the hospital.  I then went with Matt to KS Mart for some groceries.  The hospital had given me $50 for groceries, which paid for cereal, shelf-milk (regular milk is $4 for a half gallon), ramen noodles, bread, ham and cheese, pasta and pasta sauce, and a gallon of water.  The gallon can be refilled around the island for 50 cents.

 I also spent a good portion of the day going around and figuring out what the password was to the wireless network up at the locum apartments.  I was told be three seperate people that the password was ***, but it never worked.

That night, I went to a local burger joint with the Broges and Dr. Marrone.  It was run by a guy named Tapp, who is a local singer and chef.  He imports all his beef from New Zealand.  I had the pineapple teriayki burger (Teriayki is a theme here), which was delicious - almost as good as the Kobe burger at Rockit Bar and Grill in Chicago (my current favorite burger).

Tapp came out and sat with us and had us try some new soup that he had made.  He then brought out ice cream and homemade peach cobbler made by his wife, who is [apparently] a famous chef from some 5-star culinary school in the US.  It was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment