Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Friday December 19, 2014

Today was a fairly light day, as this was the day of the yearly LBJ Christmas Gala, a giant party put on by the hospital for all their employees.  The party takes place in the governor's auditorium.  The doctors donated over $2000 for this party (I think the budget was well over $15k).

That morning we had another CME - this time it was the hospital passing out CME certificates for the year so that everyone could claim their credit.  They had breakfast for us - scrambled eggs, ham, a pear, and very strong coffee.  It was pretty good. 

We met up on the wards for rounding.  Very informal presentations (though very thorough) - very refreshing compared with the formal rounding we go through in residency.  I then spent the morning and early afternoon "shadowing" Tangra in clinic because my license is still not approved due to some political issues.

That night, went to the party.  It was a Disney Frozen theme, which was hilarious - although the decorations were amazing.  It felt like a literal ice castle.  There was a huge buffet with Samoan food and all you can drink beer, wine, sodas, water, etc.   They had a talent show from the different departments - mostly ancillary services - Lab, housekeeping, medical records.  Two of the janitors did a hilarious rendition of "Let it Go", that I recorded.  I tried a couple of new beers from Samoa that were actually very good.  My favoirite was one called "Vailima Natural", which was made with breadfruit. 

There were over 200 people at the party.  All the men wear the traditional Samoan Lava Lava, a kind of polynesian kilt.  The women wear flowered Samoan dresses.  There were a few people, including one of the hospital's fa'afafines, who were dressed up as Frozen princesses. 

Dr. Maronne and I ran into the CMO of the hospital at the party and got assurances that I would get my license.  He approved me to work. Gotta love small town politics.

All in all, it was a fun time.  We left around 11pm.  I rode home with the Broges and Dr. Marrone, they dropped me off at the apartment.

1 comment: